Programs & Groups
When our members are really focused on a particular topic or practice, VIATeC is happy to work with them to create:
Peer Round Tables
These groups give the staff of local technology companies opportunities to learn from other peers in their profession. Participants share expertise & best practices, discuss practical approaches to success in the high-technology marketplace, and develop strong networks. Each group is unique and is owned by the peers themselves. Participants find information, ideas and inspirations to take away with them and often uncover & resolve common issues.
Business Coaching Service VIATeC offers a free Business Coaching Service to support regional innovators, business owners and entrepreneurs in knowledge-based industries via GoToMeetings, email and telephone. Do you need assistance with:
- Discussing alternatives and options;
- Identifying your primary need and your next steps;
- Business start-up and growth;
- Developing or updating your business plan;
- Information about programs, sources of funding and services for research and development;
- Identifying the gains and risks of exporting and linking to export markets;
- Assistance with human resource issues; and/or
- Partnering with other businesses within the region?
For more information or to meet with a Business Coach, please contact Rob Bennett.
VIATeC Venture Program
Is designed to deliver a continuum of business programs and related services to help technology entrepreneurs and SME’s move from innovation to commercialization. Components are designed to feed into and support each other. The Venture Acceleration Program assists company founders with finding qualified mentors (BCIC mentor Program), then with strategizing to solve business challenges (Executives in Residence and Booster Program), with finding funding, then with exchanging best practices with peers (Round Tables).
The Venture Program is delivered through our downtown location, Accelerate Tectoria.
BCIC Mentor Program
The BCIC Mentor Program connects executives from growing Victoria technology companies (Mentees) with experienced executives (Mentors), using an inventory of mentor skill sets to create successful matches. Mentors act as sounding boards, sharing best practices and offering advice so Mentees can use this wisdom to successfully grow their own companies. Expert advisors, Mentors are an important resource in Victoria's innovative technology sector. Providing entrepreneurs with an experienced adviser is the first step towards success.
Executive In Residence Program
The VIATeC EIR Program is made up entirely of entrepreneurs who have significant experience building technology companies in Victoria. VIATeC members have the opportunity to present their current business challenges and receive advice from savvy tech veterans who help them to overcome a variety of business challenges. Companies can present to a panel to seek a wide range of advice from securing investment to opening new markets or expanding product lines. Emerging tech companies are encouraged to apply
VIATeC Venture Acceleration Program
The Venture Acceleration Program helps technology companies accelerate the process of defining a proven business model for sustained profitability, and to help them effectively grow their business. The Venture Acceleration Program is a “paid-for” structured venture development service designed to guide, coach and grow ambitious early-stage technology entrepreneurs. It is delivered by a team of Executives in Residence (EIRs) and supported by a province-wide network of mentors.
1. Executives In Residence An EIR takes every client through a well-defined intake process, reviews their individual needs and matches them with appropriate support and expertise. Day to day support and coaching, together with ongoing reviews ensure progress is continually maintained.
2. Experts Clients have access to a wide range of proven entrepreneurs and specialists with technology industry backgrounds and specific expertise dealing with the varied issues confronting start-up and high growth companies. Clients also have access to regular Business Clinics where our professional partners provide guidance in the areas of Finance, Legal, Human Resources, Marketing, etc.
3. Learning Clients have access to workshops, seminars and other structured educational programs that provide knowledge, facilitate learning and share information to enhance their entrepreneurial skills and business critical expertise.
4. Connecting The Program provides clients with the critical connections, supportive network and collaboration opportunities that they require. Connections include access to potential investors, partners, sales opportunities and employees – provincially, nationally and internationally.
This program is supported in part by Western Economic Diversification, the British Columbia Innovation Council (BCIC), and the National Research Council Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP).