7 Excellent reasons why Interactive gaming is thriving in British Columbia
A leading creative hub at the forefront of interactive technology British Columbia, Canada, is home to a creative cluster of world-class companies specializing in game development. As an international centre for console, social, and mobile game production, as well as an emerging hub for virtual reality technology, British Columbia offers highly skilled talent, a cost-competitive and convenient west coast location, and targeted incentives. Join leading companies including Capcom Game Studio, EA (Electronic Arts), Microsoft, Sega, Eastside Games, and over 120 more studios that make up British Columbia’s creative cluster of game developers. With strong links to the U.S. west coast, Asia, and Europe, our interactive games sector is integrated with world markets and can handle the full range of development from concept through production.
British Columbia’s dynamic interactive cluster
British Columbia’s studios generate creative and cutting edge games that have developed a loyal following around the world.
- THRIVING CREATIVE ECOSYSTEM
Benefit from British Columbia’s dynamic, highly skilled, and multicultural pool of designers, engineers, and artists. Our workers have experience in the entire range of interactive productions, from console games to the fast-paced development of mobile tools. All of British Columbia’s major educational institutions are engaged in digital media, providing comprehensive training and outstanding facilities. A steady stream of new graduates and innovation flows into the sector from our prolific educational programs and research centres. British Columbia’s interactive games sector also enjoys strong relationships with film, television, animation, and virtual reality producers. This fuels a collaborative and community-based approach to projects, resulting in innovative productions.
- STRATEGIC LOCATION
As Canada’s Pacific Gateway, British Columbia is ideally located with a business day that conveniently overlaps with afternoon working hours in Europe, morning work schedules in Asia and is synchronized for the full day with California and Washington State. Vancouver’s reputation as a global tech hub has been steadily growing, with the city already internationally renowned for its liveability and spectacular location. In 2016, Mercer rated Vancouver as the top North American city for quality of living, and number five in the world. Vancouver is also ranked 3rd in the Economist’s Global Liveability Report out of 140 cities. These studies reflect B.C.’s high level of stability, health care, culture and environment, education and infrastructure. Other major cities in British Columbia, such as Victoria and Kelowna, have also developed as strong game development hubs, attracting international players such as Disney’s Club Penguin and GameHouse Canada.
- SUPPORTIVE GOVERNMENT
B.C.’s general corporate income tax rate is only 11%. When combined with the federal rate, businesses pay a combined rate of 26%. Enjoy the lowest provincial personal income taxes in Canada for individuals earning up to $125,000. Employer health care coverage for employees is optional and affordable. The #BCTech strategy is led by government with a targeted focus on talent, capital, and market access as the core pillars to continuing to grow the technology sector. The $100 million dollar BC Tech Fund, a venture capital fund-of-funds, was launched to invest in emerging technology companies in B.C. and support the development of a strong venture capital system.
- EXCEPTIONAL TALENT
B.C.’s large, flexible and educated workforce of 100,000+ across the broader tech ecosystem is well represented by young, diverse, and energetic talent. And although wages are rising, B.C. remains cost competitive.
- CREATING THE INTERACTIVE FUTURE British Columbia is home to one of the oldest video game clusters in North America, established in the early 1980s. Building on that strong foundation, today the province hosts a thriving game development industry full of large-scale game developers as well as indie game studios. British Columbia is also playing a major role in the development of virtual reality technology, with Vancouver and Seattle at the centre of the Pacific Northwest hub of VR development. British Columbia’s VR firms, including Microsoft, Cloudhead Games, and Archiact Interactive, are already looking beyond entertainment to create the future of computing, using VR and Mixed Reality to build practical tools to enhance education, health care, and other sectors.
- COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
-Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit
-Skilled labour force
-High quality of life
-Strategic West Coast location
-Low corporate and personal income taxes
-Targeted tax incentives
- ENJOY STRONG INDUSTRY SUPPORT
British Columbia is committed to providing a competitive environment for the interactive digital design industry. Industry-led associations work hand- in-hand with government to provide a wide range of supports, including marketing events, forums for investors and producers, and award celebrations.
- DigiBC (The Digital Media and Wireless Association of BC) fosters community, networking, and partnerships in the digital media industry by providing members with market intelligence, first notice of business opportunities, and promotional support. DigiBC is a member-supported non-profit organization. Visit www.digibc.org
- Creative BC supports and stimulates the development of British Columbia’s creative industries including film, television, animation, digital, virtual reality, and conventional media. It is an independent organization established by the provincial government with the mandate to expand and diversify the film, television, and media sector in British Columbia. Visit www.creativebc.com
- BC Tech Association delivers programs that help technology companies collaborate, learn, and grow. BC Tech Association helps members attract top talent, connect with partners and investors, learn from experienced coaches, and advocate to nurture the creative ecosystem. Visit www.wearebctech.com
- VR/AR Association is an international organization with a Vancouver-based chapter, designed to foster collaboration between innovative companies and people in the virtual reality and augmented reality ecosystem. Visit www.thevrara.com
- VIATEC (Victoria Innovation, Advanced Technology and Entrepreneurship Council) serves as the one-stop hub that connects people, knowledge and resources to grow and promote the Greater Victoria technology sector. Visit www.viatec.ca
Ministry of Jobs, Trade and Technology
999 Canada Place, Suite 730 Vancouver, British Columbia Canada, V6C 3E1
Phone: 604 775-2100
Fax: 604 775-2197