Just 10 companies are still in the running for top prizes in this year’s New Ventures BC Competition, presented by Innovate BC, and Victoria's own Cuboh and Open Ocean Robotics have made the cut! Winners will be announced at the Awards on September 19th.
Out of the 196 companies, 20% were from outside Metro Vancouver (3 in North Van, 9 in Thompson/OK, 4 in Kootenays, 22 on Vancouver Island). Out of the top 25 ventures, 5 were regional, although all on Vancouver Island - Kranked in Gibsons and 4 in Victoria: Cuboh, GT Water Machines, SpayVac, and Open Ocean Robotics.
The top 10 ventures are pitching this week, and 3 are regional - Kranked, Cuboh, and Open Ocean Robotics. Also, while SpayVac did not make the top 10, they finished just outside and nearly made it in!
The $2500 People's Choice Award voting is on now: https://www.newventuresbc.com/pca/
2019 New Ventures BC Competition Top 10 Finalists:
In alphabetical order
- BioInteractive Technologies
- Open Ocean Robotics
- Singular Software
Congratulations to all finalists!
In the fourth and final round, each team will pitch to a judging panel of entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and investors.
- Natalie Dakers, CEO, Accel-Rx Health Accelerator
- Andy Edelmeir, Braemar West Capital
- Bruce Schmidt, Angel Investor
- David Shore, Co-founder Moj.io Inc.
- Geoff Catherwood, BDC
- Jim Fletcher, Angel Investor
- Julien Sellgren, Angel Investor and past NVBC winner (Metalogix 2002)
- Maria Pacella, PenderFund Capital Management
- Meredith Powell, Venture Partner, Voyager Capital
Want to see who wins $250,000 in cash and prizes? Be sure to register for the 19th Annual Competition Awards, happening on Thursday, Sept. 19 at the Imperial in Vancouver. Tickets are $5 for BC tech startups, but are limited – be sure to register early.
This event is a part of Vancouver Startup Week for the fifth year in a row.