Source: Ocean Startup Challenge
With the world’s longest coastline, globally renowned research facilities and experts, and a steady flow of talent, Canada is the right place to start or grow a successful ocean tech company. Don’t miss out on the projected $3-trillion ocean economy.
There has never been a better time to leverage the opportunities and resources available in the ocean sector. There is an abundance of support and initiatives like Canada’s Ocean Supercluster that can help your company become Canada’s next ocean success.
The Ocean Startup Challenge is a competition launched in early June to help identify and support the innovative companies or individuals who are working on ideas or technologies that could address major challenges faced by ocean industries. The Challenge needs applicants who are capable of making a positive impact on the growing ocean economy by solving industry challenges, primarily from the following areas:
- Healthy oceans and ecosystem services
- Ocean transportation
- Enabling technologies and data analytics
We sought input from industry and thought leaders who shared their top pain points across those areas, giving startups a head start with pre-identified industry needs. Innovators who apply to solve an ocean challenge with their technology solutions could gain:
- 1 of up to 10 prizes of $25K to prototype or develop their solution (and up to another $200K later, if they are selected for phase 2 of the Challenge)
- access to a roster of engaged mentors and innovation leaders ready to guide them
- training through foundational bootcamps and other virtual sessions
- key resources, support and connections that innovators need to succeed, including sharing $18K in collective services and resources from in-kind sponsors
- a curated experience to help them leverage Atlantic Canada's extensive and supportive innovation ecosystem
Applicants who are not among the prize winners will still benefit from training during invitation-only bootcamps, as well as guidance and support from partnering organizations in the Atlantic Canadian ecosystem.
Ocean Startup Challenge statements, eligibility, frequently asked questions and application details are available at www.oceanstartupchallenge.ca. Applications for the Challenge close on August 14, 2020 at 11:59 pm ADT.