Senior Staff Scientist
UVic compensation is competitive with
- Annual salary increases – 3% progression increases up to the salary job rate, and 2% performance increases from the job rate to the ceiling, of the salary range
- 7 hour work days and 35 hour work weeks
- Generous vacation time off - 22 days to start, increasing to 25 days – 15 days for term employees
- Leaves – maternity, parental, adoption, personnel, sick and long term disability*
- Flexibility in arranging work schedules
- Access to personal and central professional development funds*
- Diverse range of learning and development opportunities*
- Sustainability initiatives including discounted transit passes and a pedestrian and bike friendly campus*
UVic contributes to your and your family’s health and wellbeing through its
- Comprehensive medical, dental* and pension* benefits
- Employee and family assistance program
- Discounted athletic facility membership
- Access to health and wellness tools and resources to support you in finding work-life balance
* Some eligibility criteria apply for term positions
The salary range for this position is:
Recruitment range: $71,810- $80,821 starting salary determined by the PEA Collective Agreement.
Performance range: starting salary to max of $93,865 is available through annual performance increase.
Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is a world-leading organization supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation. ONC is as a not-for-profit society that operates and manages innovative cabled observatories on behalf of the University of Victoria that supply continuous power and Internet connectivity to various scientific instruments located in coastal, deep-ocean and Arctic environments. ONC’s cable arrays host hundreds of sensors distributed in, on and above the seabed, along with mobile and strategically located land-based assets, and instruments that address key scientific and policy issues (subsea earthquakes and tsunamis, ocean acidification, marine biodiversity, etc.) within a wide range of environments.
This position is required to travel nationally and internationally, approximately 8 times a year, for up to a week. This position may be required to participate in Sea expeditions from time to time.
This position requires a PhD and a minimum of 2 years post-doctoral experimental or modelling experience in a relevant science discipline including a proven record of publication within the discipline.
The Senior Staff Scientist must be eligible for Adjunct Professor status at a post-secondary institution.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Established Leadership in the science community, nationally or internationally
- Demonstrated background, knowledge and qualifications in a major marine science discipline
- Oceanographic experience including collecting, processing, and analyzing samples at sea
- Facilitation and coordination of interdisciplinary scientific programs and teams
- Organizing, running and chairing a scientific workshop
- Management of multi-dimensional numerical databases
- Quantitative multi-variate data analysis and date visualization using high-level data analysis languages such as Matlab, R and/or IDL
- Production and presentation of accurate scientific communications, including peer-reviewed publications, conference abstracts and presentations, and summaries for both broader audiences (public, outreach and education)
- Coordinating and writing research grant proposals
- Supervisory experience with junior staff, interns and/or students
- Demonstrated understanding of project management processes, tools and best practices
Skills and attributes:
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with all stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Proven track record achieving project goals on time and produce deliverables of a high quality
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population and with all levels of university personnel
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory skills and the ability to inspire a team
Assets or Preferences:
- Travel (domestic and international) is required
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to participate in Sea expeditions as required
Victoria BC, Canada
24 Oct 2019
01 Dec 2019
23 Dec 2019
For a full job description and to apply for this position: Please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your qualifications to: https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/4368.
The deadline for applications is December 1, 2019 at 4:00pm