VIATEC - Digital Skills for Youth Program
100% wage subsidy of up to $17K + up to $4K for training. Keep reading below for details and eligibility!
If you have questions or are ready to book your pre-screening call, choose a time at https://calendly.com/eve-viatec
Funded by the Government of Canada, the DS4Y Program aims to match underemployed youth with SMBs and not-for-profit organizations to help them succeed in a career in the digital economy.
As an employer, you’ve had to make challenging financial decisions during this time to sustain your business. Your hiring budget might have been frozen or cut. Your organization has had to adapt and is juggling new or increased workloads with not enough talent to support the new demands.
As a youth who has completed your post-secondary education, you’re finding yourself job hunting in the middle of a pandemic. The organizations that are actively hiring are only looking for candidates with prior experience.
How the DS4Y Program Can Help
As an Innovate BC partner, VIATEC is empowered by Innovate BC to match five companies and candidates for internships relating to AI, Automation, Big Data, Digital Marketing, Programming/Coding, Cybersecurity, UI/UX, AR/VR, or 3D Printing.
Youth who self-identify as women, Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit and Métis), visible minority, newcomer or refugee, a person with a disability, LGBTQ2S+, will be given special consideration.
VIATEC members, as well as participants in other VIATEC programs, including DER3, TERP, WVenture, and ScaleUp are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The DS4Y Program includes:
- One grant of up to $17,000 to cover 100% of a youth’s salary and any employment-related costs for up to a 4-month internship
- One training grant of up to $4,000 (inclusive of taxes) to cover the youth’s participation in a digital training program in the areas of AI, Automation, Big Data, Digital Marketing, Programming/Coding, Cybersecurity, UI/UX, AR/VR, or 3D Printing
- With special approval, coverage of capital costs to support the participation of youth facing barriers of up to $5,000
- Established in BC
- Under 500 employees
- Haven’t already received a Digital Skills for Youth subsidy from Innovate BC or another program delivery partner after April 22, 2020
- Between 15 and 30
- Post-secondary graduate, including coding boot-camps or other non-university programs, under the list of approved programs
- Not receiving EI during the internship
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Self-assessed as underemployed
- Be a minimum of four months
- Be in a technology-related position or supporting digital work where the youth intern can develop on-the-job experience in the areas of: AI, Automation, Big Data, Digital Marketing, Programming/Coding, Cybersecurity, UI/UX, AR/VR, or 3D Printing
- Be comprised of activities that are non-commercial, not intended to generate profit, and support program priorities and objectives. For example, Sales roles are excluded
- Must include paid time off for digital skills training (see below)
Digital Skills Training:
- Begin and end during the work placement,
- In one of these areas: AI, Automation, Big Data, Digital Marketing, Programming/Coding, Cybersecurity, UI/UX, AR/VR, or 3D Printing,
- Include a component of digital literacy or soft skills training (i.e. communications, logical reasoning, problem-solving, design thinking, etc.)
To apply or ask questions as either an employer or candidate, book a pre-screening meeting here: https://calendly.com/eve-viatec